Monday, March 20, 2017

Captain Marvel, Jr. and The Human Torch



Off-Topic from the above cover - I was saddened to read of the passing of legendary artist Bernie Wrightson.  Like many, I was introduce to his moody artwork in the pages of Swamp Thing, with his excellent use of light and shadow and his amazing character design.  My mind was (and still is) completely blown when I saw his black &white Frankenstein project.  The amount of detail he put into those images just floored and inspired me, I had never seen anything like it before, and it still stands as one of my all time favorite examples of comic book artwork.  May he rest in Peace.

10 comments:

AirDave said...

RIP Bernie Wrightson.
The actor who played Stonn in Amok Time passed away this weekend as well.
2017 is like 2016 all over again.

Great cover by the way. What inspired you to bring CM3 and Johnny Storm together?

Ross said...

I was just looking for another teen hero to share the cover with Johnny.

Anonymous said...

Is that Johnny Thunder in the background?

Anonymous said...

Isn't there an Elvis Presley song that starts out "Freddy and Johnny were shipmates?

Carycomic said...

@Anon: I don't know know about that. But, the head pirate looks like a bearded Capt. Storm (from THE LOSERS by Joe Kubert).

Anonymous said...

Don't you mean "...by Jim Aparo?" P

Paul Green said...

I had the thrill of meeting Bernie Wrightson about 10 yrs ago, I thought it was amazing such a nice warm guy could produce such intense artwork! Swamp Thing never looked better!
This cover looks like some of the older fun comics, interesting seeing Johnny Storm with Capt Marvel Junior, I forgot Storm was more of a teenager than young adult.

Bob Buethe said...

I met Bernie early in his career, at the first convention I ever attended in 1971. He was still "Berni" then. I asked him for a sketch, but not being familiar with his work at the time, I asked him to draw whatever he wanted to. He sketched a wonderfully sinister-looking owl.

BTW, from the Golden Age look of the artwork, at first glance I assumed it was Captain Marvel, Jr. and Toro.

Marc S! Haines said...

Love the way you flipped the cover!

Ross said...

Freddy's insignia made it necessary.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!