Monday, December 16, 2013

The Beast and Chewbacca



I was eight years old when Star Wars came out, so I was the perfect age to be completely blown away by the franchise.  I remember being very excited that The Muppet Show was going to have a special Star-Wars themed show featuring Luke Skywalker, C3PO, R2D2 and Chewbacca. Of course, this was pre-VHS, so I recorded the episode on cassette tape and listened to it over and over.  Decades later, I finally got a copy of the episode on DVD, and it was a blast to finally see it again.  One thing stood out to me, though - to make Chewbacca a little more kid-friendly, he wasn't wearing his trademark ammunition bandoleer.  It just seemed wrong to me, he looked naked without it!


5 comments:

John R. Platt said...

Sounds like we're the same age -- and I'm glad to know I wasn't the only weird kid who recorded TV shows on audio cassette!

Bob Buethe said...

I was 18 when Star Wars came out. I remember leaving the theater saying, "How much more could they rip off Jack Kirby? Darth Vader was Darkseid, the Death Star was Apokolips, the Force was the Source, Obi-Wan was Highfather, I guess R2D2 was the Mother Box, and... well, Luke might be Lightray, since he used a light-weapon, and he wasn't exactly a warrior type like Orion" (but little did I know that he'd turn out to be Darth's son).

Hey. maybe there's another cover crossover idea there.

Bob Greenwade said...

I have to say it:

This looks like a really hairy adventure, and the fur is about to fly!

Anonymous said...

I am a huge fan of the muppets too. I even met Jim Henson once. I would love to find out where you got that episode of the muppet show on dvd. I have seasons 1-3 but that's all they've released so far and the episode in question is from season 4 i think. I can't figure out why they stalled out with muppet show on dvd.

Ross said...

I'm annoyed at no Season 4 DVD too. The episode is on a "best of" DVD that also features episodes hosed by Paul Simon and Raquel Welch.

Support STF: The Lost Issues!